Director, Environmental Health & Safety
Responsible for creation, development, and maintenance of an effective Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) program for the Corporation’s current operations and serve as primary technical leader for remediation of legacy environmental sites. The position will be based at the Corporation’s headquarters in Lisle, Illinois, with the option to work remotely. Plant level EHS professionals will indirectly support this corporate role. Significant travel required.
- Develop, implement, and maintain all EHS programs, policies and procedures necessary for compliance with applicable regulatory requirements, including all reporting obligations;
- Lead and build a positive safety culture;
- Lead and coach employees on interpretation and administration of EHS policies and procedures;
- Provide EHS technical expertise, including industrial hygiene and safety engineering services;
- Manage legacy remediation sites in the US, including oversight of clean-up and external consultants, negotiation with environmental authorities as necessary, selection and implementation of cost-effective remediation solutions, achievement of remedial objectives, and associated internal and external reporting;
- Monitor and maintain up-to-date knowledge of EHS requirements applicable to the Corporation’s operations in the US and some international locations, including assessment of the applicability and impact of new requirements, and communicate changes as required;
- Lead, develop, implement, and maintain appropriate training for the Corporation’s EHS programs; and
- Lead, develop, implement and maintain the Corporation’s EHS audit program, applicable to both internal operations and third party service providers, such as transportation and disposal facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering; Environmental Safety; Industrial Hygiene or related technical field and 7+ years experience in manufacturing required;
- Master’s degree and/or 10+ years equivalent work experience preferred;
- Certified Industrial Hygiene (CIH), Certified Safety Professionals (CSP), Certified Health Professional (CHP), or Professional Engineer (PE) certification preferred;
- Strong project management skills;
- Experience with implementing and maintaining effective systems and processes;
- Experience with implementation of environmental management systems, including familiarity with international standards such as ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001;
- Ability to travel in the U.S. and internationally (expected +50%);
- Demonstrated leadership skills; and
- Full appreciation of the strategic implications of the role for achievement of the Corporation’s objections.