Under the direction of the Director of Single Crystal Technology, the Crystal Growth Engineer leads the effort to introduce new Pb-based single crystal product offerings (such as PMN-PT) to market across all single crystal product lines. As required, he/she will fill gaps in current process capabilities by researching alternative innovative approaches, identifying promising alternatives, and developing the best fit technology into a robust manufacturing process.
- Responsible for new/improved crystal growth techniques and transfer the technique to manufacturing in a rapid, efficient and quality manner.
- Lead crystal development of new composition and provides direction to engineers and technicians who may or may not be direct reports in problem solving activities.
- Excellent communication skills and be able to work closely with engineers in the department and engineers and technicians in manufacturing.
- Capable of conveying ideas and concepts clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication.
- Possesses excellent education and has background in the latest market technologies.
Some travel may be required to foreign and domestic locations.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Works as lead engineer with primary responsibility for bringing new/improved crystal growth techniques to full manufacturing. Work individually and /or as leader of a team to develop new crystal growth processes to fill a capability gap as required. Work closely with manufacturing to transfer the growth method to mfg.
- Develop piezoelectric single crystals with improved piezoelectric and dielectric properties by optimizing/modifying crystal composition. Tasks include but not limited to high PIN content crystals, crystals with more stable properties, and crystals with high mechanical quality factor. Responsible for transferring new crystal compositions to manufacturing when ready.
- Participate in production crystal growth discussion as needed and help to improve production crystal growth process and resolve issues encountered in production.
- Address shortfalls in products, materials and processes through development of creative and innovative approaches. File disclosures for potential patents and/or trade secrets.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Solid understanding of crystal growth in general. Skilled in applying analytical tools and statistical techniques. Self-motivated and drives projects to completion. Responsible for presenting to management. Be able to lead, work independently or in a team environment as necessary.
Education and Experience
- Crystal Growth Engineer – MS degree or higher in engineering with 5+ years of experience in crystal growth. Experience in Bridgman crystal growth is preferred.
Working Schedule and Environment
- Crystal Growth Engineer must be able and willing to work at irregular hours including nights and weekends as required by the crystal growth schedule.
- Crystal Growth Engineer may be required to spend extensive amounts of time in crystal growth rooms monitoring and adjusting furnace parameters as needed. Exposure to controlled Pb environments.