The SBU Controller will act as a strategic partner to the business unit VP/GM and other leadership teams to promote and protect overall value for CTS. The position will be responsible for bringing insight to strategy, decision making and business processes throughout the business, with an emphasis on developing processes and practices to enable finance partners to deliver forward-looking analysis and advice. For the business, this position will provide professional oversight for the Site Controllers and lead finance partnering process and delivery improvement initiatives through proactive and innovative review and analysis of finance process and delivery alternatives, in order to create and sustain best practices.
In addition to the strategy and change focus, the SBU Controller will be the finance business partner to business unit VP/GM to provide clarity to forecast reports to support the delivery of business objectives that are aligned to CTS’s overall strategy, vision, and control framework.
In summary, this individual is responsible for all accounting activities, methods, procedures, records, and reports relating to the financial position of the business. Coordinates with Corporate and Operating Unit management relative to SBU financial activities including strategic planning, reporting, accounting policies and procedures, and records. While reporting directly to the SBU VP&GM, the SBU Controller has dotted line responsibility to the Corporate Controller and Chief Financial Officer.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Implementation and tracking of financial strategies to include revenue and profit maximization, cost reduction and improved cash flow.
- Interface with the management team on key financial issues and provide leadership on financial business support.
- Be a proactive part of the BU Management team to support developing and implementing strategic and operational plans consistent with CTS. Ensure the BU team understands the significance of relevant financial information with respect to strategic options, opportunities, and risks.
- Lead the development and promotion of system, tools, and processes that can be deployed across all BU sites and when needed, all CTS sites.
- Together with other BU functions participate in new business opportunity scanning/identification. Perform the Business Opportunity Evaluation process (BOE) including analyses of market factors, validation of inputs, assumptions, and assurance of disciplined pricing model.
- For the business, challenge and review sales and margin/EBIT, budget and forecast testing for realism, stretch, drivers, etc. to inform assumptions and decisions.
- Run rolling forecast & scenario planning (P&L and B/S), annual budget and forecast process.
- Review sales performance and plans, advising relevant functions on customer profitability and pricing by ensuring all relevant information are provided e.g. cost base vs. value-based pricing to make informed decisions. Ensure relevant functions understand the cost and value drivers associated with customer profitability and pricing. Identify risks and opportunities associated with financial analysis and forecasts.
- Support Product and R&D Management as related to product portfolio decisions, investments, and R&D budgetary control.
- Support for BU procurement, supply chain, and operations partners for decisions, projects, and budgetary control.
- Support the implementation of strategies, policies, and programs that improve and drive the Business Units' strategic and operational performance including efficiency drivers and promoting financial understanding.
- Manage month/year-end BU P&L and B/S performance including monthly and ad hoc BU reporting and analysis for all functions (sales, operation, quality).
- Manage the BU rolling forecast, scenario planning, annual budget, and forecast process covering both P&L and B/S.
- Ensure BU sites prepare month/year-end closing and statutory and tax accounts/reporting on time with accurate reporting. Ensure all local legal, statutory, and tax requirements are met.
- Support IT/ ERP implementation or process enhancement/automation projects for BU sites.
- Develop and implement best practice financial tools/models, and promote sharing with other BU’s and functions through Corporate Finance. Ensure that the Finance team works with the functions to develop their understanding of how the tools/models work.
- Support Corporate Tax and BU sites related to tax compliance and audits.
- Supervise the BU sites related to internal & external audits and review audit results with sites.
- Inform and advise the business on financial controls and risk management implications. Ensure that all group policy and procedures controls are implemented and run on a regular basis. E.g. inventory, bad debt, accruals, provision reviews. Advise management of any increase in risks and associated mitigating actions that can be taken.
- Support contract management (customer & supplier T&Cs) in cooperation with legal by ensuring all commercial terms and conditions are in line with CTS contractual requirements and the BU financial requirements are met.
- Manage Trade Working Capital (AR, AP, stock) optimization in cooperation with other functions
- Collaborate with business functions to coordinate cost optimization programs (e.g. sourcing, Direct Material, non-conformance costs, R&D, F&D, overhead structure) in cooperation with other functions to improve BU profitability.
- Prepare/review investment (Capex) planning & evaluation/ feasibility studies, business case calculations.
- Ensure that the necessary internal accounting controls and procedures are in place for BU sites. Work with Corporate Finance and internal auditors to avoid and eliminate all material control weaknesses. Ensure that the BU complies with all relevant financial policies and regulations, including asset valuation/impairment; advise management on financial compliance issues and implications.
- Provide leadership and direction to the business to ensure:
- Effective partnership with the business to deliver insight, value, and action.
- CTS’s policies, procedures and best practices are implemented and followed consistently.
- Manage competence development of the BU finance team including the plant controllers.
- Promote and facilitate knowledge sharing across BU sites and with Finance across CTS.
- Foster career development of finance team members including the plant controllers.
- Manage finance team performance through reviews, target setting, and feedback
- Provide finance training for non-finance people.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interact with senior management and different cultures across different continents in an international environment.
- Significant manufacturing experience with a company recognized for strict financial and operational controls in a multi-location or divisional environment.
- Must have demonstrated business acumen and proven strategic thought with the ability to thoroughly analyze the business and provide intelligent recommendations and solutions to drive success.
- Must have supported the development and production of the operational and financial planning process to meet both short and long-term goals.
- Must be able to understand and explain how value is generated within CTS and the business drivers that impact value.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills. Proficient in Excel (pivot tables and formulas to analyze and present data).
- Strong interpersonal skills to facilitate relationships onsite and remotely, within different cultures.
- Must have the ability to respectfully challenge and drive an ambitious operating plan for all business functions and manufacturing sites.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance is required. MBA or CPA is preferred.
- Manufacturing experience is required, automotive experience is preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of financial experience with an emphasis on financial planning and analysis, cost accounting, asset management, and financial reporting.
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience.
- Multi-cultural experience outside of the United States required (China and Mexico preferred).
- Direct P&L responsibility required.
- Ability to work several hours at a computer
- Ability to travel (domestic and international) as needed
- Standard office environment
Understanding the Business
- Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
- Ability to see trends and correlate those trends to the CTS business model now and in the future.
Creating the New and Different
- Can come up with the next great breakthrough thing to do; is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation; is an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
Getting Work Done Through Others
- Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people he/she has; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today and for the future.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
- Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
Managing Diverse Relationships
- Relates well to a wide variety of diverse styles, types, and classes; open to differences; effective up, down, sideways, inside, and outside; builds diverse networks; quick to find common ground; treats differences fairly and equitably; treats everyone as a preferred customer.
CTS Corporation is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer who complies with all applicable federal, state and local employment laws. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at CTS Corporation will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. It has been and shall continue to be both the official policy and the commitment of CTS Corporation to further equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of, among other characteristics, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We fully comply with all applicable Department of Labor and EEOC rules, regulations, guidelines, and orders including but not limited to Executive Order 11246 and 41 C.F.R. §§ 60-1.4, 60-250.5(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). The parties hereby incorporate the requirements of 41 C.F.R. §§ 60-1.4(a)(7), 29 C.F.R. Part 471, Appendix A to Subpart A, 41 C.F.R. § 60-300.5(a) and 41 C.F.R. § 60-741.5(a), if applicable. Except where prohibited by law, all offers of employment are contingent upon successfully passing a background check and drug screening.
Applicant must have valid work authorization that does not now and/or will not in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the US.
No agencies please.